December 2018 UPDATE: applications for STFC-funded studentships are now open! Application review deadline is January 31, 2019.
We enrol new PhD students every year, usually in September.
are interested in being a PhD student in astrophysics at Keele, please
read about our research interests.
Possible PhD projects this year include (title, supervisors):
- Star formation in the Magellanic Clouds (Dr Joana Oliveira)
- The Internal Dynamics of Star Clusters (Dr Nick Wright)
- Discovering transiting extra-solar planets with WASP and TESS (Prof Coel Hellier)
- Characterising circumbinary planet host star systems with CHEOPS and Xamidimura (Dr P. Maxted)
- Atmospheric properties of A, F and G stars (Dr Barry Smalley)
- Progenitor evolution of gravitational-wave emitting black-holes (Prof Raphael Hirschi)
- Stellar hydrodynamics (Prof Raphael Hirschi)
- High-precision studies of eclipsing binary stars observed using space telescopes (Dr John Taylor (Southworth))
- Galaxy populations behind the Magellanic Clouds (Dr Jacco van Loon)
The list of current funded studentships is available here: current studentships on offer (search for the research topic: Astrophysics). Note that the application forms will open at the end of December or start of January.
Further information about the University can be found in the Applications section of the Postgraduate Research website.
Each year, we offer several PhD studentships funded by STFC (click here for more details about the STFC studentships). We usually advertise funded places in December-January with application deadline at the end of January and decisions are made in February-March. We might have funded places at various times throughout the year so it is best to contact us if you are interested in doing a PhD with us. We also welcome applications from self-funded students. You can apply for a place by following the "Apply for PhD" link on this webpage: http://www.keele.ac.uk/researchsubjects/astrophysics/ .
If you require any further information or would like to visit please contact Dr Nick Wright for general enquiries or the member of staff you are interested in working with: Staff contact details.